8 Steps to Prepare for Christmas Morning Photos!
Have you ever woken up Christmas Morning, and realized your camera wasn’t charged? Your memory cards weren’t cleared? Or have you uploaded pictures to your computer and realized in the chaos of trying to get every shot you forgot to bump up your ISO, and your photos are dark and gloomy? Get prepared this year, before Christmas morning! I have compiled a list of tips and tricks to help you get ready for that special day, and have attached a fun Checklist!
1. Charge your battery the night before! You don’t want to get half-way through opening presents and realize your battery is dead!
2. Have your camera handy. This is one I struggle with. As a photographer, I always forget my camera at the studio. Make sure it is attached at your hip so when something picture worthy comes along you are ready to rock and roll!
3. Make sure your memory cards are transferred to your computer, and you have a clean slate to work with!
4. Get as much light in the room as possible. The minute you wake up, open the blinds, get some light shining through the room you will be photographing. Use flash and man made light ONLY when required. Try to use as much natural light as possible.
5. If in Manual Mode: If needed, increase your ISO- Be sure it is at a reasonable setting though, so your pictures don’t get too grainy. Shutter speed should be at least 1/125, no lower to avoid blurry pictures; Set your white balance in advance.
6. Remove the clutter. Get rid of objects, furniture, or distracting things.
7. Close in on the details. Get close ups, hands opening presents, shocked faces, etc.
8. Get a Before and After Picture. Take a photo of the room before presents are opened, of the tree, the presents, the decorations, etc. Then, when present time is all done, get a picture of the wrapping paper and toys all over the place.
9. Get different angles, above, below, close up, far away. All angles!
10. Get Creative!